Sunday, May 16, 2010

labor playlist

one of the (many) things i like about choosing a birthing center is the flexibility to create a genuinely relaxing atmosphere.  i can use candles, music, and oh my goodness i can actually EAT.  not that i'm positive i'll have the greatest appetite and i certainly don't want to increase my chances of pooping in the water (sorry for that graphic description, but it's true), but anyone who knows me and understands the undeniable importance of food in my life can appreciate that i have the option.

so as the big day approaches (only 5 days!), i thought i'd better get to work on some playlists because putting my ipod on random shuffle would be a BAD idea.  i have over 7000 songs that would neither relax me nor encourage me to move.  and since those are probably the primary motives i'll have during that time i've made 2 playlists entitled, you guessed it relax and move.  how apropos...

consequently, relax is almost 9 hours long and full of wonderful soothers like Bob Marley and Jack Johnson.  move is only 3 hours and is a very eclectic collection of songs that make me want to shake, sway and dance.  i fully realize that my labor may be much longer than 12 hours but it could also be much shorter!  i have a friend that has spent a TOTAL of 6 hours in labor between 3 kids.  either way, these songs are just one more thing that i hope will add to making this a positive experience.

has anyone else had music playing while they've been in labor?  what do you wish you could have listened to?

2 comments:

  1. Ha Ha ....I think you were trying to convince her it was time to come out, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We listened to Classical the entire time. I also found it helpful that Jake brought his laptop and had pictures rotating through. I stared at the pictures to try and get through some contractions!! Also, many times, I didn't see or hear anything! You are gonna do GREAT!

    ReplyDelete