Saturday, March 19, 2011

book review - Tweak

This is not a book I would normally read.  I am a fan of fiction; I enjoy horror stories, romance, a little fantasy, etc.  I read this upon the recommendation of a friend.  Tweak is a memoir (which some people argue is fiction).  Nic Sheff is a drug addict.  This is a heavy story, gritty and at some points, stomach-churning.  Throughout the book, I found myself asking how someone could get so low.  I believe in choosing happiness and to see someone make terrible decisions over and over again, to not love themselves enough to change their situation, was hard to witness.  Sheff tells the story of how he reached his lowest point, how he finally found a recovery program that guided him to love himself, and how he is still struggling to maintain sobriety.

A couple of standout quotes:

"Just remember, Nic, the only thing that ever really gives us any genuine satisfaction is caring for other people.  The only thing that actually makes life more fulfilling is our love for others." 

"As long as you look for someone else to validate who you are by seeking their approval, you are setting yourself up for disaster.  You have to be whole and complete in yourself.  No one can give you that.  You have to know who you are - what others say is irrelevant."

While this was a difficult read, I still think it was a worthwhile addition to my book list for the year.  It's good to step out of your comfort zone periodically and though I try to show my gratefulness everyday, sometimes it's easy to take it for granted when your life is good.  Another interesting side note is that Nic's dad also wrote a memoir called Beautiful Boy.  It's his story of watching his son's struggles with addiction.  I'm still not sure if I'll add that one to my list but I definitely thought the concept was novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment