Monday, March 14, 2011

the nerdy knitter

this is my friend malia.  she knits.  and she's a bit of a nerd about it (though she will proudly admit that).  malia is teaching me how to knit.  she is the only knitter i've ever met who uses the terms fibonacci sequence, mobius, and abacus in reference to knitting.

see the pretty scarf she's wearing?  she made that.  it's an infinity scarf that is both a mobius strip and a fibonacci sequence. 
and the abacus comes in when she's in the middle of a project.  she created this as a placemarker for her stitches...
while we were in korea, we found some time to check out a couple of yarn shops.  i found a bunch of cute ideas and picked up my first circular needles.

our friend shawn thought it would be helpful if he modeled the shrug.  at least he didn't pull it off the mannequin.

we even got a chance to watch a local knit/crochet group in action.

malia recommended i check out ravelry and vogue knitting.  there's even an app for my smartphone that i can use to help me with my knitting!  hopefully i'll have some cute projects to share soon!

1 comment: